Friday, March 14, 2014

Exploring Roles in ECE Community: Local & State Levels

There are so many opportunities to join organizations in your state and local community or surrounding communities.  Until beginning to research organizations, I had no idea that there were so many different types for children, families, and educators.  I am excited about all of the information that I have found.

One organization that I feel very passionately about it and would like to join is our local RIP program.  I have a personal connection to this program because I almost used it with my own son.  My son, at three-years-old, was a handful and had some behavior issues.  My husband and I could not figure out what was going on with him.  We took for a visit to the RIP program on a recommendation from my son's doctor.  I loved how everything was set up and the way children and families were treated.  The RIP coordinator felt my son did not need the RIP program and he was diagnosed a few weeks later with having sensory processing disorder. The RIP program sent him to an occupational therapist and now, a year and a half later, my son is doing so much better.  I am very grateful for the help that I received.  I think this organization is wonderful and I believe that it helps families and children.  This is one reason that I chose them.

Another organization that appeals to me is Tennessee Voices for Children.  This organization was formed to promote children's health and education services.  About 51% of their families have children with special needs.  Most of their staff have children with special needs.  This appealed to me because part of my capstone project deals with children with special needs.  I think this group is a great advocate for children and their families.  I am so glad that I have found this organization because I want to advocate for children and their families and this is a great community of practice to be involved with.  T

The last organization that I want to have as a community of practice is TEIS:  TN Early Intervention Systems.  This program is like a child find for children with special needs from ages birth through age 2 that have delays.  This organization helps the child and the families to promote their child's development.  These children get the services that they need to prepare them and help them develop the skills needed for success.  I believe that when children are given an early start, it will benefit them.  There are many good things that come out of TEIS.  

There is a position available with Tennessee Voices for Children that is located in Nashville.  It caught my attention and interest, however, I have not qualified for the position.  It is for Director of Development.  The skills and experience that I would need for this position are having a Bachelor's Degree in Marketing, Highly knowledgeable and experienced in fundraising and non-profit marketing, Extensive and successful fundraising and capital campaign experience, Track record of successful grant writing for both government and private funds, and Excellent collaboration, customer service and leadership skills.  

Another job opportunity that interests me is teaching Pre-K in my community.  I have always been passionate about teaching young children.  My son is in Pre-K and I think it is such a wonderful program and I believe in it.  I already have a bachelor's degree in teaching Kindergarten-6th grade, so when I finish this master's program, I will go and take my Praxis exam in early childhood education.  I already have a teaching license in the state of TN, so if I pass the praxis exam in early childhood education, I will be able to get that endorsement on my license and will be able to teach Pre-K.

Becoming a director or owner of a daycare center is another job opportunity that I am very interested in.  The skills I would need to do this is making sure that I have good communication skills, the knowledge about educating children and working with families, budgeting and management skills, advocating for these children, and managing staff and personnel.  



3 comments:

  1. Dear Misty,

    Wow! those are some great COPs in your local area. I was deeply impressed by the work carried on by Tennessee Voices for Children and TEIS. Health, education and early intervention are hallmarks of quality early childhood programs. It is a pity you won't be able to join Tennessee Voices for Children due to different qualifications, although I hope you are able to volunteer during your free time.
    I wish you the very best in either becoming a Pre-K teacher or a Director of a daycare center.
    Cheers!
    Sonali

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Misty,

    What does the RIP program stand for? I gather it must be some sort of behavioral support program. The area in which I live does not have such a thing but we do have an inclusion facilitator that will help with behavioral challenges in our classrooms. I am focusing my challenge for the project around challenging behaviors in a classroom so this sounds very interesting to me! Thanks for sharing!

    Vicki Leming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vicki.

      RIP stands for Regional Intervention Program. It is a type of behavioral intervention program that is free to families with children with behavioral problems. It is a great resource and I plan on using it to help solve my challenge.

      Delete