Saturday, January 26, 2013

My Conversation Partner

My conversation partner is Carmen Lica from Romania.  She works for the Step by Step Center for Education and Professional Development.  The Centre for Education and Professional Development is a non-governmental organization that was formed in 1998 to continue operating the Step by Step program, which was first implemented in Romania in 1994.  Mrs. Lica says that her organization provides training on early childhood education, protection of children, and care of infants and toddlers. 

Mrs. Lica said this organization helps children and families of poverty by giving trainings to their teachers and families and donating money to help support programs to benefit these families and children.  The Step by Step Center is doing a lot of good for children and their families.  I have learned that there is more poverty around the world than I realized.  I want to help as many families in this situation as I can.  Romania is home to a large population of people living in poverty.  Mrs. Lica told me that almost half of the population living in rural areas are poor people living in poverty.  If we all work together, maybe we can make a difference one child at a time.

5 comments:

  1. As I have completed this week's assignments and read the resources, I also realized that there is a lot more poverty in my local area and throughout the world. I'm glad to see that Carmen's area is addressing poverty and trying to assist families. I'm looking forward to reading more about your conversations with Carmen in the coming weeks.

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Misty,
    I believe it is amazing that you have become in contact with someone. I have found it difficult. I look forward to reading more about what you learned from your contact.

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Misty,
    This excursive has opened my eyes to all of the poverty world wide, a hard thing to see and hear about but awareness is the beginning. When I was contacting international professionals I looked into the Step by Step program, it sounds like an amazing global fight against poverty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Misty,

    Good contribution on how to reduce poverty. Organisations such as Step by step are able to advocate for children, solicit for funds and resources from corporate establishment or government. These resources when donated to the schools reduces poverty.
    In Angola, all companies especially oil and gas companies are mandated by government agencies to undertake community development projects. Such companies build schools, fund school projects, supply resources to schools on regular basis which reduces poverty.

    Thanks for the insight and contribution.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Misty, I can remember studying about issues that occured in Romanian orphanages when I was in college. I think it is great that you were able to establish contacts and I also look forward to hearing more about what you learn!

    ReplyDelete