Saturday, July 20, 2013

Communication and Culture

I have never really thought about the different ways that I communicate with different groups of people until this course.  I find that I do tend to communicate differently depending on the group that I am with.  For example, with my close friends and family I find myself more relaxed and laid-back and more honest.  I tend to say or do things that I wouldn't do with other groups.  With my co-workers I tend to be a bit more reserved and keep my opinions to myself in order to avoid conflicts.  With the parents of my students, I always find myself acting and speaking more professional.

There are some strategies that I can use to help me communicate better with these groups of people.  We need to be aware of cultural differences when communicating with our students and their family.  One strategy that we can use to help us with cultural differences is by taking the time to learn about the family's culture and applying the platinum rule.

Another strategy one can use is to be mindful .  This means "to be aware of your behavior and the behavior of other" (O'Hair, D., & Wiemann, M., 2012, p. 88).  By being mindful, it can give you ideas of positive ways you might react to different situations that happen without offending someone.

The third strategy that will help you to become a better communicator with different groups of people is to practice your communication skills.  Some ways to practice can include doing the right thing, being empathic, listening effectively, and thinking before you speak or act (O'Hair, D., & Wiemann, M., 2012, P. 92). 

References

O'Hair, D., & Wiemann, M. (2012). Real communication: An introduction. New York: Bedford/St. Martin's.

2 comments:

  1. Misty,
    I like that you included practicing communication skills. Since I finished my student teaching, I don't think that I have really practiced my communication skills. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Misty,
    I totally relate to the way you are with close friends and family, co-workers, and students and their families. One’s comfort level influences one’s way of communicating. Since one’s comfort level may vary throughout the day, one’s communication style is not set in stone. The three strategies you chose namely “taking the time to learn about the family’s culture and applying the Platinum rule, be mindful, practice communication skills” to improve your communication with those groups are sure to bring good results (Beebe, Beebe, & Redmond, 2011). I am storing them on my handy communication strategies cheat sheet. Thanks for sharing!
    Beebe, S. A., Beebe, S. J., & Redmond, M. V. (2011). Interpersonal communication:
    Relating to others (6th ed.). Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon.

    ReplyDelete