Thursday, July 4, 2013

Communication

I can think of a number of people that have really good communication skills that I want to model after.  The person that I am going to write about is my church preacher.  He is also our town's city mayor.  His name is Johnny and he is a really nice person.  He communicates very well within the community.  Some of these forms of communication are verbal and some are nonverbal skills that he has.  He speaks clearly and always gets his message across.  He is never rude to anyone and shows respect.  He listens to other people and thinks about what they are saying.  He does not try to force his opinions on anyone, but really tries to see their side of the situation before responding.  I think that is a good skill for anyone, especially teachers, to have when dealing with children and families.  When he is speaking or listening, he looks at the person and makes eye contact.  In my opinion, this lets them know that he is really listening and hears what they are saying.  He doesn't seem distracted by other people or objects.  He gives everyone his full attention. 

I hope to be more like him when it comes to communication.  I feel that he inspires people and people feel comfortable speaking with him.  I know that I feel comfortable speaking to him about anything because I know he will respect me and listen to what I have to say without judging.  He makes people feel important and he values their opinions.  I want to be like that.  I want others to feel comfortable coming to me and knowing that I will show them respect by listening and having those good communication skills.  He is a role model to many people.  I hope to one day be more like him.

2 comments:

  1. Misty, nice to see that you admire and want to be an effective speaker like your Pastor/Mayor. He reminds me a lot of my grandfather, whom was a Pastor also. I think the key to effective communication is listening also. Good luck and I look forward to getting to know you through out this class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Misty,
    I would love to listen and see Preacher Johnny because I know that his speech would make feel that he had me in mind when he wrote it. When someone gives you their full attention and actually hears the words you say, it makes you feel alive, a part of the solution, a part of the world. I also would like to develop some of the communication qualities you described since it would enhance interactions with children, families, and colleagues.

    ReplyDelete