Wednesday, July 4, 2012

My favorite Children's Book

I have so many favorite children's books that I love to read to my children and my students.  I am obsessed with Harry Potter, however I don't really consider Harry Potter a children's book anymore.  It is too dark for young children in my opinion.  One of my other personal favorites that I always read to my students is "The Big Orange Splot" by Daniel Manus Pinkwater.  This is the story about a man that lives on a street where all the houses are the same.  One day a seagull flies over and drops a bucket of orange paint on Mr. Plumbeans's house.  So his house isn't like the others anymore.  Mr. Plumbean decides that he wants to be different and he paints his house and soon all his neighbors change their homes too.  It is a really good story with a great meaning.  I always tell my students that they can be like Mr. Plumbean.  They do not have to be like everyone else.  They can be different and that it is ok.  I think "The Big Orange Splot" is a wonderful children's story.




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I have never read it, but I will have to check it out. I love stories that have a good meaning to it as it leads to such interesting conversations with the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Misty,
    "The Big Orange Splot" sounds like a great book. We should always encourage children to be themselves. I agree that they need to understand that it is ok to be different. That no matter what the difference is, always strive to be the best you can be.

    ReplyDelete